Hitchin Bid had asked Hitchin Stitchin' to participate in the Hitchin Easter Egg Hunt, by providing 10 Easter Bunnies. Several members of the group promised a bunny, so I thought I would challenge myself to learn something new.
I bought a kit from Woolly Chic (member of Hitchin Stitchin')
Never having knitted a toy before, I was thrilled with my first attempt at Woolly Chic's Rabbit Kit.
As the deadline approached, I lost contact with the group due to prolongued illness. I took Riley Rabbit into Hitchin Bid's new premises in Churchyard, and discovered that there were very few bunnies on their way to take part.
My second attempt was less successful, due in no small part to different yarn than that included in the kit.
Add to that a broken darning needle and this is more like Piglet than Rabbit.
He does, however, have a carrot.
I have Rabbit number three on the needles, in grey. He (or she, haven't decided yet) may be finished just in time to take part in the Easter celebrations, joining this pair.
I never got around to sewing on the buttons and the finished garment languished in my knitting cupboard for over two years. I'd bought some pretty heart-shaped shell buttons, but sewing isn't my forte. I find lining up the buttonhole with the button very stressful.
Then Festiwool, 2016 needed items for the fashion show, A fellow Hitchin Stitchin' member sewed the buttons for me, and here is the result.
Finally finished the plaid I started back in 2012.
This is worked in 100% New Lanark Wool. It must have a lot of lanolin in it because it caused my hands to go red, swollen and painful. Lanolin makes it water-resistant, though, so it will be very useful for the boat,
It's quite a prickly texture and reminds MWNN and me of the Western ponchos worn by Clint Eastwood. (I think it's something to do with the material, colours and fringing)
I started knittng this plaid shawl in October 2012. Then, life happened.
I picked up the needles again this week and finished it, darning the vertical stripes with one strand of Cold Harbour Mill Aran weight wool in 'flame'. It worked better than the pattern's suggestion of four strands held together.
For wearing, it needs a heavy shawl pin. What better than one of Wendy Fowler's ceramic pins
MWNN has already claimed the shawl, so I am keeping a lookoout for a traditional fly plaidbrooch for him to use,
By now, I normally have a few photos to post from the first couple of days in Southwold. I have the pics - they are on my camera - and there they will have to stay until I get home, because the usb cable is there.
Here are the two I took with my phone.
I finished knitting the Owl Tea-cosy yesterday, having started it last November.
The pattern calls for DK yarn, so I'm using some of Woolly Chic's Welsh wool in pretty colours. The pattern is for a slighty larger teapots to the two vintage enamel pots-for-one, and I was a little worried about adjusting the size.
It was a very quick knit, being mostly garter stitch. Attaching the 'bunting' to the lid was a little fiddly, but not impossible.
MWNN decided he didn't want tassels or a pompom. I may have a look for a small button to finish the top.
One down, one to go.
I must have a search for a suitable pattern for the coffee pot.