Friday 9 February 2018

You ain't nothing but a hounds-tooth


Weaving Course - Session 4, 8th Feb. 2018





It was important that I had finished the weaving of the houndstooth runner and taken it off the loom.

I managed that on the 7th of Feb. It will need hemming so that it can sit on top of the oak, Edwardian bookcase.

















I could now use Session 4 of the weaving course to learn how to use the back of my 24" Kromski Rigid Heddle Loom as a warping board.

This warping board was new to my Tutor, Amy, and it was quite a learning curve for both of us to work out how to space the pegs.


The idea is to create enough lengths of yarn to warp 36" (with a little extra for 'wasteage' i.e. fringe ends). For a 10 dent heddle (10 strands per inch), I would need to wind around the pegs 180 times.
















To make counting easier, I had to tie off the left hand peg's crossover point in bundles or ten, as I worked.




Tutor, Amy, tying off the warp for removal






When 180 winds had been completed (or in my case, when the yarn ran out - I lost count a couple of times so have no idea how many I'd done in total), the yarn is tied at various points to stop it tangling. Then the whole lot is removed from the pegs and turned into a sort of twisted rope to keep it all together.

Now I have the warp ready for the beginning of Course 2. I will attempt a cushion cover for  18"x18" pad.












Posh Yarn, Robyn




The dark blue warp yarn is 4ply Posh Yarn. For the weft, I will be using a variegated 2ply yarn in 100% mulberry silk.

Weaving 18" wide will be quite a challenge. The hounds-tooth is the widest I've woven, and it's only half that width.

No comments: