Monday, 20 April 2015

First weaving project

  I drove to Kent last Friday for a two-day weaving workshop.

We used 8" Kromski Forte Rigid Heddle looms, with 8 dent heddles.

None of the Double Knit yarn I had was suitable for warping, so I had to use Posh Sylvia sock weight (colour 'If') for both warp and weft.

Weaving is tiring, especially when you're doing it for six hours a day. Setting up the warp is done standing. There's a lot of bending as you thread the heddle. Both I and fellow student, Katherine, had backache by the time we'd finished.

I had to rethread twice. The first time, I'd missed a couple of holes, the second, I double threaded a slot.

Once the warping was complete, the weaving could be done sitting down. I'm sure there's a comfortable weaving position, but I didn't find it on either of the two days.

The silk content in Sylvia resulted in a lot of slippage, both in the warp and the weft. Nevertheless, the fabulous colours of the yarn popped as I wove.

The weft slipped further, each time I wound the fabric onto the cloth beam. What had been straight lines became wiggles. Our tutor assured me they would straighten out once the fabric was oft the loom, and then settle further after a wash/soak.

Picture courtesy of Suz-WeavingMeHome

 Working on the first section of weaving on Saturday afternoon.

Picture courtesy of Suz-WeavingMeHome

Once off the loom, the ends needed securing, by removing the waste yarn and knotting the fringes.

If fabric without fringe is required, it is hemstitched and then zigzagged on a sewing machine.

After knotting the firnges, I soaked the scarf and dried it in the conservatory.

It dried very quickly and was ready for MWNN to try on when he returned from his walk.

I used only half a skein of Posh Sylvia. To knit a scarf of this size would have taken most of the skein.

Now that it's washed and dried, the fabric has evened out. It's very light and airy, with a lovely drape. Just a puff of wind was enough to lift the fabric.