Wednesday 25 August 2010

Socks!

Finally - my first pair of Posh Socks is finished. I started this project in March and became a little disheartened after the first sock was complete because it was too big.

After a little bit of unpicking and re-stitching double rib top on smaller needles I was a lot happier with the result. I cast on the second sock last week on the same size needles. With a slightly tighter tension, the second sock came out OK.






This is a very basic pattern, knit from the top down, in stocking stitch. I learned that turning heel is not really that scary, just a bit fiddly. I also have almost tamed the dreaded double-pointed needles when it comes time to switch from the circs.






Because this is a top-down design, it's difficult to estimate how much yarn is needed for each sock. This pair is calf-length. My ambition is to knit a really long pair that will go above the knee. For this, I need a toe-up pattern. Toe up patterns start at the toe, making it easier to continue knitting the sock up to the desired length and/or until half the yarn is used.









Pattern: 
Just Yer Basic Sock by Alyson Johnson (Ravelry pattern. You have to be a member to view.)

Yarn:  4 ply - 50% Merino, 50% Silk (Posh Yarn, Sylvia, colourway Triumph) 388yds

 Needles: 2,5mm circs and 2.5mm dps

No comments: