Friday 29 August 2014

New toy

With all the sock yarn I have that needs winding, I decided to buy a yarn swift.










I chose an Amish design sold by Amazon UK and shipped remarkably quickly from the USA. I ordered it on 16th August. It  cleared customs on Bank Holiday  Sunday and was delivered on Tuesday 26th.






















It's beautifully made, using lovely wood. A dowel system creates the spindle action and pegs around which a the yarn is attached. No tools are required for assembly.


















This yarn swift sits on the table top and features non-skid pads on the bottom to keep it from moving. Four adjustable pegs can easily be moved to accommodate any size hank of yarn. It can be set up or broken down in a matter of seconds.








This video from yutube shows the action of the swift, using a ball winder. I prefer to wind by hand. Using this swift, winding 440yards of yarn is  remarkably quick and easy.